1) Use an official set of rules so that our competition will be fair.
2) The official nature of the chess tournament encourages your child to play a “more serious” chess game.
3) Ratings allow us to break children up into skill level sections.
4) Rated play means that your child must learn to stand on their own and receive no outside assistance.
5) All the major chess events worldwide are rated.
6) Rated play can serve as a reward for hours of chess practice.
7) A rated tournament encourages children to prepare more and thus improve their chess.
All Torres Chess and Music Academy rated tournaments are non-elimination events. In addition, we always provide coaching for free to all the children in attendance. Every child who attends one of our rated tournaments will receive an award(trophy, medal, ribbon etc.)
Chris Torres is a nationally renowned scholastic chess coach working in the San Francisco Bay Area. His classes have attracted players of strengths ranging from rank beginners to world champions. A chess professional since 1998, Chris is widely recognized as one of the main driving forces behind the explosion in popularity and sudden rise in quality of scholastic chess in California. Chris Torres served as the President of the Torres Chess and Music Academy from 2005-2020 and currently is recognized as a correspondence chess master with the United States Chess Federation. Since 1998 Chris Torres has taught 6 individual national champions as well as led multiple school teams to win national championship titles. In addition, Chris Torres has directed and taught at 10 different schools which have been California State Champions at chess. In 2011 and 2012, several former and current students of Chris Torres have been selected to represent the United States at the World Youth Chess Championships. Mr. Torres’ hobbies include playing classical guitar and getting his students to appear on the national top 100 chess rating lists.
View more posts